We are proud to have been awarded the Peak District Environmental Quality Mark. It is presented to businesses that support, protect, invest in and enhance the local and global environment. We are dedicated to investing in people and feel privileged to work with some great folk who share our beliefs.
We live in a very special place – a busy and vibrant National Park which provides a unique environment for all to enjoy. However, it needs caring for and protecting and these are some of the things we currently do to help:
- We provide a wealth of information of how to get involved in local activities and enjoy the fantastic array of attractions to visit.
- We employ local people – who have continued to help and support us for over 5 years.
- We have re-roofed with super-thick insulation and have an ongoing plan to improve heat loss and efficiency through replacing windows and doors.
- We have replaced 50% of light fittings with new energy-efficient ones and the remaining light bulbs are low energy.
- All radiators are fitted with individual thermostats.
- We minimise waste by providing facilities for recycling and supply our guests with recycled toilet paper. All toilets are dual flush.
- We use eco-cleaning products, toiletries and fairtrade beverages.
- We use locally sourced food and provide information to guests regarding buying locally produced food during their stay.
- We do not produce written material – all communication is electronic.
- We provide re-usable organic cotton shopping bags for guests use.
- We have wildflower banks on either side of the property and have built dry stonewalls around. We maintain bird feeders in the garden. Please see List of Wildlife and Plants at Sladen Lodge.
- We support local charities and fundraising, providing free use of Sladen Lodge for local events.
- We provide work experience placements.
- We are “Friends of the Peak District”.
We regularly review our environmental performance and are continually looking at ways to improve our practices to minimise our impact on the environment. We encourage guests to help us do this and value their feedback and comments. Please do get in touch to let us know your thoughts.